Thursday, January 31, 2008

Needing to Learn Patience

We are so horrible at waiting for our gifts! For example: Shinae received her V-day gift at least two weeks before the 14th, she got her X-mas gift one week before the 25th, and I got my X-mas gift a week and a half before X-mas (it had also only been wrapped for 3 hours!). The funny thing is that it's not the receiver of the present that can't wait, it's the giver. We can't stand to get something for the other person and not give it to them! It just eats away at us until we thrust it upon them and make them open it. I guess that should be a pretty normal feeling: wanting to give to your Love more than you would receive from them. The best part about gifting during holidays isn't what you get, but what you give and who you give it to. I really need to remember this, because I did a couple stupid things: 1) I thought that I blew all of our Valentines Day money on Shinae for a big gift, and she wouldn't get me anything big (just what I wanted) The problem is that I robbed her of the ability to give back to me in an "equal" way. Therefore, I win and she losses--even though she gets a cool gift. 2) I forgot that she likes to give more than she gets (just like me)--here's where I did something really stupid--So, I figured I would buy myself something that I wanted and tell her that she could get that for me. (OOOooooo, yeah, I'm an idiot, huh? *wince*) Needless to say, I just bought a gift for myself (thinking that I would save her the trouble) and now I'm also going to be receiving another gift for Valentines Day. I guess that she wins... and I kinda win too. The only loser in this case is or poor bank account; as if it wasn't beat down enough.
Wanna know what "she got me"? Yes? Well, keep reading. "She" got me another bible. (Yeah, that's another sore spot--she kinda knows that I need another bible like I need another hole in my head) Seriously, it's really, really super cool! I've wanted this version for a while now. It's been developing for the last few years in beta form, and about a year ago it officially became a "1st Edition." Not many people have heard of the NET bible (New English Translation). The type of translation method that they use is closer to a Dynamic Equivalent (like the NIV), but is very focused on linguistic accuracy (more literal, like the ESV, NASB, etc). The NET Bible is a completely new translation of the Bible with 60,932 translators’ notes! It was completed by more than 25 scholars who worked directly from the best currently available Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek texts. The translators’ notes make the original languages far more accessible, allowing you to look over the translator’s shoulder at the very process of translation. This level of documentation is a first for a Bible translation, making transparent the textual basis and the rationale for key renderings (including major interpretive options and alternative translations). The NET Bible was also the first bible to be "beta tested" on the internet. This means that a few million revisions have taken place from the suggestions of anyone who cared to comment. The translators would allow everyone to comment on the work, but (of course) had to sift through the suggestions to find the "gems in the ruff." Yeah, I'm pretty pumped-up to get to see all the translator's notes! (it's kinda cool for nerds like me--just imagine, all of those notes on the bottom of your Study Bible getting switched out from someone else's theological point of view to a carefully thought through translation with detailed rationale so you can make the final decision! ) The biggest "claim to fame" for the NET Bible is that some of the translators for the ESV (like Wayne Grudem) used the translator's notes to help assist them in their translation. I'll let you know how I like it when I get it! If you want to read more about it, just go to http://www.bible.org/page.php?page_id=3537 Now I've got a wife that's upset I did something this insensitive and less money in the bank... The moral of the story, for all you guys out there, is: DO NOT BUY YOURSELF GIFTS FOR VALENTINES DAY!
(P.S. Take a look at John 1:1 here: http://www.bible.org/assets/netbible/1sted_joh1.pdf)

No comments: