Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Authority & Power of Government Are Not Always the Same

    Throughout the last few months of studying anything I can get my hands on politically, I have made some substantial decisions.  If I was to classify my thoughts, ideals and attitudes, then I would say that I am a Conservative, Libertarian, Federalist, and Constitutionalist in the most classic terms.  I have been examining the basis for our system (and formation) of government in order that I have a solid foundation on which to justify my decisions for voting and believing  the way that I do.   Traditionally, I have just looked at individual issues--completely autonomous of everything else--and had a bit more of an "alla-carte" style of deciding instead of a systematic and holistic ideal with which to reference a greater ideology. Now, I believe that I not only have a firm foundation to justify the rational for my actions, but I also have system in which to form my decisions.  
   As I read through the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and other works, such as the Federalist Papers, it becomes apparent that we have a sovereign law that dictates our legislative, judicial and executive actions: the Constitution--the supreme authority of all our government. Through the Constitution we derive our rights and authority-of-action.  Just because the government has the power to do something, it does not mean that they have the authority to do it. This is something that the American people forget. In our "true and genuine" American society all authority derives itself from the constitution. Therefore, if the government enacts practices that are against the constitution, then the government is in opposition of its authority. 
    As we go to the polls on Tuesday, please do so with the knowledge that in Romans 13 it says, 
  "Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment... Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God’s wrath but also for the sake of conscience." (ESV)
   First we have an obligation of obedience to God, then to the powers he sets above us. Since we have a form of government that derives all its authority from the constitution, vote in a way that brings the government back under the submission of the constitution, and therefore back under the submission of God.    I believe that we, as Christians, have a moral obligation to act in a way of restoration and reconciliation--this does not apply just in our personal and professional lives, but also in our lives as citizens.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."  --  Patrick Henry 

No comments: